SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wonderpets_gw

too dry and too wet at same time

15 years ago

New pile. Hardware cloth surrounding it - 3' high, used approx 10' of wire, so it's sort of 3' diameter, except that it is more ovalish than circular. Approx 1/3 full of cardboard pits, paper strips, dead leaves (not fall ones, thoguh), plus general kitchen bits (egg shells, strawberry caps, potato peels, etc.).

I've been composting less than a month. Most of what I've learned has come from this group -- I keep meaning to get to the library for a book but haven't made it.

The inside is pretty damp and moist looking -- maybe a bit past damp sponge but nowhere near the soppy soaky stage -- so I have gnat-size flying bugs hanging around and very noticeable when I turn/stir.

Yet the outside is almost bone dry, which is something of a miracle as humid as it is here.

I'm not going for fast compost and I'm still working out the ratio of carbon items to nitrogen items, but it seems like I have a management issue -- I don't mind all sorts of creepy crawly bugs...hubby would take issue with flying insects.

Comments (4)