SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mayzu

Either too dry or too moldy -- HELP!!

mayzu
14 years ago

I'm at my wit's end.

I've scoured this forum to see if anyone's had the same experience as I have, but I can't find what I'm looking for.

Here's my situation:

I'm growing a bunch of seeds in plastic cell packs/trays, using Schultz seed-starting medium. At first I tried using the domes to maintain humidity, but I discovered mold growing. On others, I had to water more often to make up for the lack of dome, but mold still occurred.

So I tried to lay off watering even more, especially at night, and especially on the surface -- but several tiny seedlings didn't make it through the night due to dryness.

I also check on the flats every few hours and find them drying out rapidly. I'm especially afraid for my surface-sown seeds -- how will they fare if they keep drying out off and on? Will one short dry spell kill them for good? Even when I bottom-water, the surface is still the first part to dry out. I feel like I have no choice but to surface-spray them to save the surface-sown seeds and tiny seedlings.

I'm also worried that the lights (regular fluorescents) may be drying them out too quickly. They're a bit warm, but not hot. But can I really afford to move them back? The bulbs are about 2.5 to 3 inches from the flats.

I'm also wondering if I need more air circulation. The flats are in a small-ish basement room with no major air circulation, which I know contributes to mold growth. But will a fan dry them out even more quickly? Or worse, will it help spread mold spores?

The problem is, I'm a college student. There are some days where I can't check on the flats for at least 7-8 hours. Sometimes I can get my parents to water them, but even that is iffy. I'm almost wondering if it's easier to reverse moldiness than it is to reverse dryness; ie, if it's better in my situation to over-water than under-water.

If you have any bits of advice about bottom-watering, top-watering, how often to water cell flats, how fans affect dryness/mold growth, whether domes are useful at all, etc (as it pertains to my situation) .... It would be very much appreciated!!

Comments (13)