SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekitty

I visited a garden instead of working today (hehe)

aimeekitty
13 years ago

I had an unexpected lull at work and my boss said it was ok, so I took a long lunch break to Descanso Gardens today. I've been so busy lately that I'd even been working on the weekends, so it was a great treat to take a weekday break like that.

I hadn't been to Descanso in years and I hadn't remembered that they had a huge rose garden, complete with lots of OGRs and classes that I was interested in.

Again, if you guys are in the area, you should go. It looks so beautiful right now!

I took so many photos that my camera battery died. :) :)

Since you guys had been helping me find out more about roses and gave me so many suggestions, I just had to do a quick post and share with you,...!

I was able to eliminate a few roses I'd been interested in off my list... and added a few others that I hadn't realized I would love so much... sometimes it's just better to see something in person, huh?

I got confirmation that I love Queen of Sweden and the Alchemist (I have them on the way to me). My camera battery had died at this point, but Alchemist was in full bloom COVERED in pale peachy blooms of varying intensity on an arbored bench. SO CHARMING, you guys! I wish I could share it with you! It's so beautiful that I don't care in the slightest that it's once-blooming.

Also,... there was a Sombreuil climbing up a huge pagoda, thing. It was SO GORGEOUS. I couldn't stand it. My baby Sombreuil is about to bloom... if its even remotely as pretty and fragrant as that one at Descanso, I'll be SO HAPPY.

The other roses that I've added to my short-list are:

Lavender Lassie

- I know a lot of folks love this rose here,... but I wasn't really wowed by the photos until I saw her in person. They had her growing up a huge metal structure in partial shade. She smelled so lovely,... like my grandmother's old roses, and the pinkish color and bloom-shape was wonderful. The bush seemed very very healthy and vigorous, too.

Sally Holmes -

I'd just seen one of these climbing up a huge pergola at Huntington, and then I saw one on a huge arbor at Descanso. Both were very healthy and really covered in beautiful simple single blooms. I'm totally in love with it, even though it's totally different from the complex double blooms I normally like.

Penelope -

So lovely. Blooming almost in shade (partial to mainly shade, I guess?) A beautiful bloom,... not quite single. A pink tinge to the white blooms. Soft scent. This one reminded me of my grandmother, too.

Baronne Prevost Hybrid Perpetual

Totally in love with this rose. It looked so happy and healthy! Big long arching canes covered in double flowers.

Likewise, I really liked Marchessa Boccella.

I -did- get photos of these two, I'll share them with you guys later. :) :)

Unless you guys say "boo", I'll probably get a couple of those.

Comments (8)