SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ctlady_gw

Tree ID (native woodland tree + Arbor Day mystery tree)

ctlady_gw
14 years ago

Here are two images (leaves and bark) from one of many of these young trees we have in the woods (damp soil, slope down to brook) behind our house. They look amazingly "silver" in the spring time, and the leaves are somewhat velvety to the touch. So far I haven't been able to see any seedpods or catkins or anything like that. The first is a picture of the leaves, the second of the bark. I would really like to know what they are (I'm sure they are incredibly common but they don't resemble any of the more mature trees in the woods) -- there are more each year, it seems. I thought maybe American basswood but it doesn't seem quite right. The effect, in the early spring, bright green woods, is of fluttery silver... but they are definitely trees (not Russian olive, for instance).

The third photo is of a young tree that came as a tiny sapling in one of the Arbor Day packets about 3 of 4 years ago -- I kept the list of what we received for our donation for several years... and moved the little seedling "nursery" several times ... but now that they are getting larger and I am thinking about permanent locations, I can't find the list.

Thank you all in advance!

{{gwi:187635}}

{{gwi:187636}}

{{gwi:187638}}

(Also posted in "Name that Plant!")

Comments (5)