SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaydeeinma

Arbor Day foundation trees

jaydeeinma
16 years ago

Hi,

I'm new to the gardenweb and recently moved to New England where I have purchased a house surrounded by red and white oak trees. My learning curve these first 4 months has been very high even trying to keep the perineals from dying or being eaten alive by bug, grub and animals.

Our neighbors are through a stand of red/white oaks so in the warmer weather it is screened but for the winter time I wanted to get more evergreens so I have purchased several trees from The Arbor Day website for $50 and for a $10 membership I am going to receive 10 addtl trees for free! Anyone else purchased from Arbor Day and any advice on the trees you purchased?

The downside is that I have to wait until Nov-Dec until I get my trees and from what I gather on the website it will be bare roots or very small saplings so I imagine my (future) grandkids will be able to enjoy the blue spruce at least.

Here is a list of trees I'll be getting:

Holly

Blue Spruce, 2ea

Lodi Apple

Aborvitae, 3ea

Azalea

Black Walnut, 2ea

Red Maple

Forsythia, 2ea

Sugar Maple

White Pine

River Birch

Silver Maple

Red Oak

Pin Oak

Red Maple

White Flowering Dogwood

Redbud

The Aborvitae are fast growing and can tolerate the acidic soil from my red/white oaks but looking for an advice on an effective wind screen tree/shrub from the list above? Also, what does well in partial/full shade from the list? I tried to get a variety and I'm really looking fwd to a Sugar Maple tree as I have become addicted to the Maple candy since moving to NE.

Comments (11)