SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ekat2001

B&S engine won't start..not getting constant power to the starter

ekat2001
10 years ago

I have a craftsman lts1500 with a replacement b&s engine 31C707-0026-G1. I blew the original engine a couple years ago after inadvertently not putting enough oil in it after an oil change. A few weeks ago as I was mowing it started make some noise that I thought was strange so after a few minutes of listening to the noise I shut it off and turn it back on...it started back up but within a minute it stopped while I mowing. When I tried to start it after that I could only get it to crank...wouldn't start. My dad and I did a bunch of thing to try to diagnose the problem...changed fuel, checked flywheel key, ignition coil, battery (new battery), and the carb. We got it to start eventually but it would only run for a few seconds before it backfired and turned off. As we were dealing with that problem we seem to have another problem...as I was starting the engine, it started to not even crank. The starter would engage the flywheel but only briefly, which made it seem like it was a battery issue because it seemed like the starter wasn't getting constant power. We charged the battery and that didn't help. The battery was showing 12 volts. We used the car to try to jump the battery and that didn't work either. We used jumper cables to go directly from the battery to the starter (bypassing the ignition) and that didn't work either. My dad replaced the starter with one we had from my blown engine and that didn't help either. We are still experiencing the same problem where we have good voltage at the battery but that is not translating to the starter consistently turning the flywheel.

I know this is a little disjointed but I'm not super mechanical and I am trying to explain the situation as best I can. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions