SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parad0x

What I've Been Doing With My Pile

parad0x
10 years ago

A few years ago I started composting. I bought a compost cage, a 3 x 3 x 2.5' area. Started out with mostly autumn leaves and kitchen scraps. I was able to get the pile up to about 110F, but then the past 2 years I've not had the time to bother with it at all. I've been adding grass clippings/kitchen scraps/grounds, and now cardboard/paper to it, and I'm able to get the volume up, almost to 3 x 3 x 2 or so, but then by the time I get enough scraps, it's volume drops again, and is currently about 3 x 3 x 2 again. I can never seem to get enough stuff to add all at once to get the pile up to 3 x 3 x 3. Just checked the temp with my compost thermometer, and it's at about 104F in the center. Any thoughts? I'd love to hot compost, but probably will never have enough stuff all at once to do so. Should I just manage the pile? turn, moisten until done, etc? ok to keep adding bits and pieces as I get them? I don't mind if it takes a bit, but I do get warm fuzzies when I see the pile cooking..steam arising when I turn it...etc... Just general thoughts appreciated...tips..advice...thanks!

Comments (15)