SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
timberohio

Please tell me I didn't kill it!!!!!!!!!!!

timberohio
15 years ago

My problem is an old vining rose that was my grandmother's. When she passed 3 years ago. My mother dug it up and my husband planted it for me. (I don't touch them cause I kill them.)

It gets small red flowers just once a year about June and has done fine until this year.

When it first started getting leaves this year, the ends of the vines turned a very light lime color green. I had read it was lacking some nutrients so I lightly fertilized with slow release pellets around it. I also cut back those tips and the plant was doing good.

It and my Mister Lincoln was loaded with buds. I carefully cut off some of the buds to give other buds a chance for more nutrients. I'm talking hundreds of buds on both plants I've never had my Mister Lincoln do this. If anything he struggles to produce 1 bloom a year.

Anyway as I was nipping off some of the buds I noticed something was eating some of the leaves and I also noticed spots not really black like blackspot but more like dry dead spots. Some of the leaves had spots that were transparent.

I rushed in the house and searched the internet. I decided that spots were bad and I needed to cut off any leaf with a spot into a plastic bag and dispose of immediately. I did this with both plants 3 days ago.

Yesterday I noticed more leaves on both plants had been eaten and the spots were there again. So I cut off more leaves and sprayed the plants with Malathion to kill whatever was eating them.

Now I'm in a panic cause today. There are more spots, most of the leaves are turning brown like they are burnt, and the buds are all dying. The buds have either turned brown or are limp. I just cut one main vine off hoping to slow down whatever is causing this. I haven't cut back the Mr Lincoln yet hubby says to hold off and see if it pulls through.

I thought the DH incorrectly mixed the Malathion and it is burning my plants. But, I just checked my Cherry tree I sprayed yesterday and it is fine.

I've had the Mr Lincoln for about 10 years. He is the only rose bush the has stuck around through all the years of neglect and now that I'm trying to take care of him he's going to up and die on me.

Maybe I shouldn't have touched them. I should have just kept on neglecting them and they probably would have been fine. Never mind they very rarely produced a flower or that half of the summer they have no leaves. At least they wouldn't be dying this slow death they seem to be on right now.

I am at a loss as to what else to do for them. My next step tomorrow is Fungicide. I just hope it helps and doesn't further their demise.

Does anyone know what would cause such a rapid decline in 2 roses at the same time? With exactly the same symptoms?

I also have a small white rose bush that has struggled with me for about 5 years and it looks perfectly fine. Small but no spots or browning of leaves. I also sprayed it yesterday.

I would appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Thanks

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals