SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thepollywogpond

Help me pick a tree

c2g
13 years ago

My backyard has the following trees in it already: white oak, black birch, sweetbay magnolia, serviceberry - none of them over 15' high. I have an empty spot about 20' away from the oak for one more tree. Pretty much full sun and soil has a fair amount of clay in it. No drainage issues that I know of. The only issue is an overhead cable line (about 20' high).

The arborist I'm working with threw out a few options: chokecherry, musclewood (single stem), redbud, and dogwood.

I love dogwoods, but there are already 3 of them between my immediate neighbors. I like the musclewood for the bark, but not sure much else. The redbuds are nice right now, but I haven't really paid attention to them much after spring. I'm leaning towards chokecherry (prunus virginiana melanocarpa in particular).

My primary requirements are increased biodiversity and attracting birds, not being impacted too much by the cable wire, and my wife says edible berries are a plus. The prunus genus are #2 on Tallamy's list behind the oaks, so this seems like the best bet.

Here's a pic from last year - the new tree will go where the table is. Any other suggestions?

{{gwi:14086}}

Comments (4)