SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rakin_gw

Help me pick a tree.

9 years ago

{{gwi:41412}}
I need a nice specimen for the left center of the lawn. You can see where I just recently removed a sweet gum. (patch of sod that is not yet green).
We just finished this construction in the fall, and I tried to save it, but even with treatments, it just didn't make it.
I will be putting the new tree about 15-20 feet to the left of where the old tree was.
Issues that might need to be taken into consideration:
The low (ditch) area allows the water from a natural creek bed on the adjoining property to run off during rain. So the tree will receive plenty of water, sometimes it stays wet for a day or two, depending on the amount of rain. Also, the sprinkler lines run almost directly down the center of the low area. I am not sure if trees can harm the lines or not.
I am in zone 7b (Memphis) and the house faces West. The photo was taken at 5pm. The shade on the ground is coming from the property facing mine, but the shade would not reach the tree top until around 6 or so for a 15-20 foot tree.
Oh, and I would like something that will top out at the height of the house. Taking into consideration the elevation difference, that would be about 40-50 feet max. Nothing slow growing.
Just off the top of my head, I was thinking about an October Glory Maple.

{{gwi:41413}}
View from entering traffic's perspective.

Comments (4)