SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigoledude

I yousta depend on chemicals. Whadaya think I need?

bigoledude
16 years ago

The bags of "compost w manure" from the super-stores was all I ever used. In fact, for a while, I was building entire beds out of the stuff. The flower beds seemed to do OK. Vegetables didn't do well.

I used chemical fertilizers and pesticides to maintain control. My current garden has been decimated by an over-fertilizing incident. I'm starting over and gonna go chemical-free. Especially since I'm now feeding this stuff to my grandkids.

Now, I've been given access to all of the stable gleanings I want. Horse manure, hay, straw and some of the bagged horse feed is in this stuff. I will add wood chips from a local tree service and grass clippings to the stable stuff. The wood chips are the only "browns" I have. I know that the hay and straw are considered "browns" but, because they are part of a moist mixture, I was looking to add more stuff to promote air circulation to the pile.

Three questions;

Is this adequate "browns"?

Will this mixture actually lose the "manure" smell before it is considered "finished compost"?

Do I have to wait until there is no sign of the chips and no manure smell to use the compost in compost tea?

Comments (7)