SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lincann

Compost do-over - where do I start?

lincann
15 years ago

My 'compost pile' is huge; maybe 8x8x3, but dead as a doornail. I call it 'the compost pile', but it's actually just the place where I dump old soil-less potting mix, leaves, grass and plant clippings ~ no proper layering, no turning for years.

As a result,there are no worms, no dark, rich 'garden gold' ~ only dry, lifeless 'un-compost'. It also seems that the deeper I dig, the worse it is. There are a few fringe areas where my 'sheer neglect' technique has worked and the soil is black and literally packed full of big fat worms, but these areas are few and far between.

I have thought about moving the whole thing one shovel full at a time and then rebuilding it back in the same place, taking care to layer leaves, dirt, grass,kitchen scraps,a little water, etc. in hopes of finally getting the heat going, but this task feels daunting as I don't think I can do this much shoveling.

As as an alternative, would it work about as well to just dig a bunch of holes and do the layering thing in each hole? What about adding 10-10-10? Would covering it move the process along or is summer heat enough?

Sure would appreciate any thoughts on this !

Comments (6)