SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beachlakegrower

Placing a tarp over compost pile O.K.?

beachlakegrower
12 years ago

As per my recent emails to this forum, I'm involved with a school gardening project, which includes composting in 3 ft x 3 ft x 3 ft bins using a recipe of alfalfa meal, straw, and some extra mushroom compost we had left over that had been added to the garden's raised beds.

The piles were created on a Monday and were already heating up nicely by the following Wed. Our composting thermometer malfunctioned, so I'm not sure of initial temps., but they felt hot enough to potentially burn your hand. By the end of a hot, dry week, the new thermometers we obtained showed the piles had cooled a little with temps on Friday at ~ 90-100 F with some "hot spots" of up to 150 F.

But showers over the weekend seemed to bring the piles down to basically air temp. (75-80 F) w/ the exception of a few lingering hot spots.

I was considering, and am considering again, laying tarps over the tops of the four piles to give me more control over moisture levels in the piles. But I've been concerned about the piles being unable to "breath" sufficiently under the tarps, although they would still be open on all four sides, which are composed of wire mesh fencing.

Any feedback on anyone's experience on covering a compost pile with a tarp - pros, cons, benefits, etc. - would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

John

Comments (13)