SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mctoon

My first intentional compost pile

mctoon
13 years ago

Based on the size of square foot garden my wife and I want to plant in the spring I've calculated we need 28 cubic feet of compost.

The gardens will be three 4x12 boxes 6" tall and a single 2x8 6" tall. Compost is 1/3, vermiculite is 1/3 and peat moss is 1/3. Math tells me 28ft^3 is my target.

I previously sifted and stored the non-intentional composted materials and started new. Non-intentional? It was just where we threw junk. Not really a good mix of stuff for a garden, just a where the leaves, grass and a small amount of kitchen scraps went for over 5 years. The sifted stuff is nice but the nutritional content is probably not too interesting.

Reading Organic Gardener's Composting I want to get a good mix of stuff.

For the last couple weeks I've been collecting free stuff to compost:

-Goat manure

-Horse manure

-Chicken droppings with straw and seed husks

-Grass clipping

-Chopped leaves

-Kitchen scraps

-Dirt

Today was the day to assemble the assorted items into a proper pile.

I started with 15 feet of chicken wire 3 feet high. This will allow about 53 cubic feet. About twice the final minimum volume. On the bottom I put a few funny shaped sticks to give a bit of air underneath.

I mixed in several layers adding water every layer. I was worried I wouldn't have enough, but I actually ran out of space and I had to leave half of the leaf pile and added some horse poo, chicken poo and grass into that pile.

Below are the pictures:

Collected ingredients. From left to right:

-two bins and small black bag -- chicken

-three large black bags -- grass

-paper bags and clumps in leaves -- goat

-chopped leaves

-horse, lots of horse!

{{gwi:310160}}

Some stuff prepped to be layered. That horse poo has some color! Goat is in the front with grass to the right. Chicken is off camera.

{{gwi:310161}}

Finished compost with leftovers on left.

{{gwi:310162}}

Closeup of completed pile.

{{gwi:310163}}

This is the current garden. We have tilled like crazy for a couple years and removed buckets of rocks. Doesn't help. The neighbor tells me this is where the gravel driveway used to be. So, next year I will put down plywood first then start with good stuff only in boxes!

{{gwi:310164}}

I wrapped the whole thing in a holey tarp to keep warm, hopefully the holes will allow enough air flow. I will turn the pile after a while. Maybe a week or two. Gotta get a proper pitch fork.

Any guesses on how much that pile will reduce after composting?

Comments (16)