SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monicakm1

DH Says I Need to Be Watering in the Heat of the Day :o

monicakm_gw
12 years ago

I know, he's nuts! He doesn't believe that watering during the heat of the day is going to burn the grass, not to mention evaporation issues. DH installs carpet for a interior design store and custom builders. Nearly everyday he's in upper class neighborhoods, country clubs and sees their golf courses. Every night he comes home and says their sprinkler systems are running during the middle of the day (that's over 100 degrees for the 37th straight day now and worse drought that most people can remember)and their lawns are lush and emerald green and landscaping is thriving. I know these people have lawn care experts to care for their lawns. We don't. It gets some Scott's Southern Turf Builder on it 2x a year and that's it. We have 6 zones. We're on community well water and at the end of the line. Out of consideration for others AND due to lack of water pressure during heavy usage hours, I water late at night to pre-dawn...mold isn't an issue here.

We're in the country surrounded by hay fields. If my lawn is green and plants are alive, that's good enough for me and my neighbors (cows and horses) :) His next idea (for what I'm doing wrong) is our pop ups aren't "misting". Again, he sees lawns that look like their covered in a sea of fog due to the fine mist. I really think it's mostly the angle and lighting. I've tried to tell him that kind of spray gets blown away and evaporates faster and isn't the idea spray pattern. Last year our lawn looked like a golf course. I can't keep up with this summer's drought. Well I guess I could but I'm trying to be somewhat environmentally conscience and still maintain a green lawn. So, if it's common knowledge that watering in the heat of the day and "misting" aren't desirable, why are lawn professionals that take care of country clubs,golf courses and high end homes doing it?

ps...I will water during the day (not at peak usage hours tho) when the temps are mild.

Comments (3)