SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
odinthor

Final Last Vintage Order

odinthor
10 years ago

I just received the confirmation of what has to be my last order from Vintage Gardens. Classic Floribundas all! They alas were sold out of 'Baby Talk'; but I'm to receive 'Plain Talk', 'Small Talk', 'Pied Piper', and--a last minute brainstorm on my part--'Lilac Charm'.

I've had 'Pillow Talk' for several years, and like it more and more; and I obtained 'Fancy Talk' in my previous Vintage order, and it's blooming its head off.

So, go to it, rose-lovers: Precious Floribundas from the classic age of the group are available right now from Vintage and pretty much not from anywhere else; nor can you expect them to show up in commerce soon if ever. The joy these classic Floribundas will bring you is plenty enriching in itself; but having them also unexpectedly whets and deepens your delight in Old Roses proper. Have at it, folks, with these 1940-1970s treasures from Boerner, Swim, Weeks, LeGrice, and their colleagues! The sun is setting on your opportunity to possess many of them . . .

Comments (41)

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You are so right. The sun is setting on our opportunities. I ordered all I could. I can't put another rose into my pot ghetto now.

• User
    10 years ago

Oh, Lilac Charm - so lovely.

• Related Discussions

The Very Last Vintage Sale

Q

Comments (19)
    I will be most happy to share anything I have once I get them growing well. I don't have growing cuttings down pat yet - that is a skill I hope to become reasonably proficient at. I am babying along some Vintage bands like Earl of Eldon and one day hope to share these treasures. Greg Grant, a first class Texas plantsman, is going to come visit when I get my rose bands a bit more mature - going to give him cuttings to grow - he works at SFA University in the horticulture dept. and has access to all the finest mist systems so should be able to get a bunch to grow. I am in process of getting electricity put in my greenhouse - electrician should be finished tomorrow - so hope to set up some sort of misting/light system. Maybe one day there can be a thread on exchanges when these plants get older and cuttings can be passed around. I am amazed - and pleased for Gregg - that ALL the roses got sold! Will be interesting to see what everyone gets. Judith
    ...See More

The FINAL Vintage Final sale

Q

Comments (2)
    Right after I posted I got an email. This is what's coming: Alida Lovett Deschamps Burbank Dr. Debat Mme. Létuvé de Colnet Camille Bernardin Marie Brissonet Petite Marcelle Susan
    ...See More

Okay, my ACTUAL last Vintage order

Q

Comments (12)
    Thank you Ingrid! My only wish is that I could fast forward a couple of years to see what it will all look like. Perhaps you could be convinced to visit this spring when Chambersville Tree Farm and Heritage Rose Garden has its dedication ceremony. It is one of the HRF's gardens and hosts more than 145 roses. Connie will be here, and Ogrose and I were just talking about how great it would be if our California friends came for a visit as well. The roses should be in full swing at that time. Josh
    ...See More

Finally let go of my vintage clothes...Good Bye!

Q

Comments (8)
    I recently "let go" of a number of work clothes--fine wool skirts, pants, jackets. I'm still doing nearly the same work, and wearing professional wardrobe, but these either no longer fit or don't look quite right. I also almost exclusively wear pants and jackets now rather than skirts, and I previously had had a lot of narrow skirts that fit pretty closely and with not much forgiveness in the hips and waistbands! I had not worn them in maybe 5 years and had had many of them out of my closet for a year or more but could not "let go." It helped me to try on a bunch of things in my closet and to see that I had other clothes that looked better now and that I had a slightly new "look" that wasn't achieved by the old clothes. So, that actually styles HAD changed a bit and that I would buy new things rather than make those work. And there is the 5 extra pounds--that I might lose, or might not. But I really can't completely explain why I could collect this huge pile this month and could not do the same thing the previous year. Somehow I was able to see that I just was not going to wear them. And, that somehow I would be able to find other things (this idea is re: the hidden hoarding, being afraid I would not find other clothes. That's not so far off really, because "they" did quit making some fabrics and styles that I like--or at least, not readily available in local dept. stores.) I think also these represented a lot of my early professional years and investment in my work wardrobe, and there is some nostalgia for that young(er) working woman. I have had the same experience with some other items this year--things I could not have imagined giving away last year, now I look and say, why on earth do I still have this? So to me, it is encouraging not to be too hard on myself when clearing out things--that, if I seem to be struggling with something, I can either take a little time to try to unravel why I'm struggling--that does sometimes help-- or I can just put it aside, but that when the time is right, I will be able to let it go and it will feel right. This seems to be true for a number of things when you have a family--one year you couldn't imagine giving away some games, or puzzles, or sporting goods, and the next year, kids are different, now you realize nobody's actually used it in longer than you thought, and boom--give it to someone who will use it.
    ...See More
  • catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    10 years ago

And there are great roses still available on Vintage's lists. For example, the 1932 floribunda Karen Poulsen, which Graham Thomas described as the "remarkable Karen Poulsen, with dazzling scarlet single flowers which defy description." I got this plant at the Celebration of Roses just one year ago, as a band on the sales table who won my heart with a single bloom that I spotted from yards away. This young plant is so far very pleasing and trouble-free. Here are photos from today:

{{gwi:266874}}

{{gwi:266875}}

{{gwi:266876}}

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

On Roseseek's mid century floribunda advice I ordered:
    Lilac Charm (love that rose!)
    Lilac Dawn
    Grey Pearl
    Paprika
    Spartan
    Yellow Cushion
    and a bunch more I can't remember.
    I've also placed a polyantha order, a china order...
    I can't order anymore. If I had anywhere to put them I would.
    So far I really like all I I have received.
    Susan

• odinthor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are just a few of the Floribundas presently available on the Vintage list which I recommend to your notice as ones I can personally vouch for, after several years of trial, as especially satisfying:

--Arpeggio (beautiful near-single; unique dynamic cerise-rose-scarlet color which electrifies its locale without being harsh or clashing; the plant is healthy and vigorous)
    --Fabergé (perfectly-formed roses of the 1950s aesthetic, each blossom looks just like the publicity photos sellers make available--the Vintage photo doesn’t well represent either the color or the form; the main color is an orange-pink, with yellow; the leaves are a beautiful glossy dark green and healthy; the plant is sturdy, compact, and vigorous)
    --Gold Cup (beautiful rich golden yellow, well-formed especially in bud, wonderfully fragrant; beautiful dark green glossy leaves; sturdy, healthy, and vigorous)
    --Nimbus (an extremely floriferous muddy warm lavender; the color doesn’t sound very attractive, but it is; my plant took several years to “get going,” and admittedly the plant is rather sparsely foliaged; still, it’s one I’m proud to have; it's not "sheet of bloom" floriferous, but rather "always a sprinkling of blossoms" floriferous)

• nastarana
    10 years ago

I can heartily recommend Titian and Ivory Triumph, both of which I bought from VG last year.

Ivory Triumph is a vigorous grower with lovely semi double flowers which are not white nor ivory but an unnamed cool color inbetween. I just uncovered it. It is not cane hardy in zone 5, and in the future I will need to wrap the stems in burlap, but new growth was already coming up. It was Almost Entirely Free From Blackspot in my yard last year. NO BS, or not until very late in the season, and then only a few tiny blotches on the very lowest leaves.

I believe Titian, a shrub or floribunda from Australia, is truly a sleeper among roses. The flowers are large, very double and of the most amazing color, a kind of dark redish pink with orangey tones that you must see to believe. Growth habit is excellent. Titian puts out strong canes which branch at approximately 60 degree angles, so the inside of the bush remains open. No twigs, and no thorny rebar growing straight up.

Both Titian and IT are strong growers and prolific bloomers. Titian had a little more BS than IT, which had hardly any, but did not defoliate. In warm climates, Titian would probably make a fairly substantial bush.

Can anyone suggest any of the remaining floribundas at VG which might be hardy in Zone 5? The Talk roses look lovely, but if they are small in CA, they would likely be miniature sized for me.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I finally placed a Vintage order.

But by the time I picked out what I wanted, those were gone, so then I looked for the found roses, the ones I wanted were gone too.

Then I made a long list, said I want 4 of these....and they are on their way shortly.

I think my final order looks more like I choked while playing Jeopardy and Alex said I was running out of time. :)

Glad they were out of so many of my picks

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

I finally decided to order two more, Arcata Pink Globe (possibly the same as Moser House Shed Rose) and Cl Madame Caroline Testout. I think I know where I can plant them, maybe.

Like Kippy, I found they had sold out of many of the roses that attracted me. And also like Kippy, I saw this as a good thing.

I'm still working on getting the last round of purchases in the ground along with various companion plants.

Rosefolly

• odinthor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just went through the remainder of the available Vintage roses (other than the Floribundas, which I made recommendations for above). Here are some which I especially recommend from personal experience:

HTs

--Calico (beautiful leaves, good strong growth, wonderfully delicious fragrance, ever-varying coloration in the flowers)

--Gold Glow (beautiful distinctive form, a deep and rich pure golden-yellow; I also have the beautiful apricot sport)

--Peach Beauty (of that pink-orange which is so characteristic of its breeder Boerner, the color tonalities of its opening flower are truly luscious [see my pix of it at HMF]; the plant is sturdy and floriferous)

Hybrid Musk

--Wilhelm (a healthy 8-10 foot shrub with very generous clusters of semi-double rich red flowers; the fragrance is delicious and distinctive, with a yeasty undertone [I think one is smelling the pollen]; I also have the brighter red sport 'Will Scarlet')

Climbing Polyantha

--Hermann Schmidt (clusters of reddish-violet or bright magenta flowers on a vigorous plant with attractive glossy spring-green foliage which is healthy; the color of the flowers enriches all colors around it)

Ramblers

(First, among the Ramblers, I recommend to your notice two Boursaults: 'Blush Boursault' and 'Morlettii'; lack of space has meant that, despite very strong temptations to get some experience with the Boursaults, I haven't done so; but the Boursault group has been neglected, and I encourage those with space to give them a try)

--Erinnerung an Brod (a blackish-violet-purple Setigera hybrid; it's blooming right now for me, and the perfect color combination with the also-blooming pure light pink 'Duchesse d'Angouleme' is one of the highlights of my gardening year)

--Robinette (a demure climber from Mr. Moore; its white-eyed cherry-red single flowers with their sparkling golden stamens have a simple charm which makes me yearn for them when the plant is not in bloom; its little clusters of bright hips add to its charm in the Fall and Winter)

--Violette (a good rich dark violet purple, purified of the red tones which others of this sort often display)

Teas

--Mme. Antoine Rébé (more a China-Tea; the big nearly single blossoms look as if cut out of rose-red Oriental silk)

None of the above could be considered "just another rose"; they all are distinctive characters which bestow their own unique richness on the garden and on the gardener...

• zjw727
    10 years ago

Lilac Charm looks really lovely!

• catsrose
    10 years ago

I'm hoping they will have a last minute sale. I've ordered 48 this spring. I have space for more, but the budget is running low.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I am with you Catsrose, the list is long but the wallet is thin.

Odinthor, thank you for taking the time to make a list! It really helps.

Would those boursaults grow well in Coastal SoCal?

My random order arrived today. The roses are random sizes too...lol from a thin spaghetti to a bush they had to bend to get in the box (all bought as bands but they must have been happy to give the big one the boot-Morey's Pink)

• odinthor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

K-t-H asks if Boursaults would grow in Coastal So Cal....? That's the great question I've been wondering for a number of years, but have lacked the space to experiment and find out. They're half China--modern people sometimes dispute this, but those familiar with this group at the time it was being bred stated it without equivocation--so one would think that they would have a very good chance of liking coastal So Cal. It would be wonderful to find out the answer to this question of how well they do here, and so perhaps open up a "new" group to Southern California gardening!

10 years ago

Kittymoonbeam (who apparently lives near Anaheim, Z10) recently posted about Blush Boursault (link below). Isn't that coastal SoCal? Being native NoCal and not getting out much, I have no idea... :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Blush Boursault thread

This post was edited by catspa on Thu, May 9, 13 at 21:29

• fogrose
    10 years ago

Here's my last? order:

“Florence Bower’s Pink Tea”
    Laneii / Moss
    Tuscany / Gallica
    Esther / Gallica
    Duc de Guiche (Lowe) / Gallica
    Flora / Rambler
    Daphné / Gallica (not the Hybrid Musk)
    Rosa brunonii “La Mortola”

I do hope Vintage is able to sell out all their roses. Am sure they will bring what's left to the Celebration of Old Roses on May 19th. I'll keep an eye out to see if anything is left before the 19th but I probably have no more room.

Alas,
    Diane

• windeaux
    10 years ago

Fogrose, I'm surprised by all the Gallicas in your order. Perhaps that's a classification of roses that I've needlessly been ignoring . . . What other Gallicas grow successfully in your zone?

10 years ago

Windeaux, I was just going to comment on Fogrose's order to say that I just received Tuscany from Vintage. I have seen it doing relatively well in this area. I also have La Belle Sultane (beautiful scent), as does my rosarian neighbor-across-the-street (who inspired my acquisition of that variety).

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

La Belle Sultane does well for me here in Silicon Valley. It is one of the most successful gallicas I've tried. Many of them dwindled. Be warned, LBS has intense wanderlust.

Rosefolly

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

I just got my "last" Vintage order today. Although I dont need any more...I am going to look again - cant stand the thought of no more Vintage orders arriving.....while there is still time.

Tip Top
    Pink Soupert
    Florence Bower's Pink Tea
    La Nymphe
    Tutta's Pink Noisette
    Georgetown Gateside Yellow
    Taisha
    Judith

10 years ago

No fear, I hope, Rosefolly. I put La Belle Sultane in a "challenging" spot where I hope she has as much room to roam as she wants... famous last words...

"Old Red Runaround" is assumed to be something of a Gallica that I also have and also with wanderlust. I love it, but maybe worse than LBS that way, I think. On second thought, consider its name.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

My "deer in the headlights" order got potted today.

In band size order

Morey's Pink skipped the 1g pot and is in a 3g Not sure how a plant 2 1/2 feet tall with 4 canes fit in a band pot. But guessing it will need some time to stretch out some roots.

Crepuscule has a big bud and is in a 1g

Mme Berkeley is in her her new 1g

Alister Stella Gray (itty bitty) is in a 1g too

Bet next year the size order is reversed...lol Alister Stella Gray has a mammoth oak tree to climb, so I hope it is a mini house eater.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Morey's Pink was busy uncurling today from being bent to fit in the box. I had to smile when I noticed the bent cane was hiding an itty bitty bud and a busy little lady bug.

• TNY78
    10 years ago

Be sure to baby Lilac Charm...mine did great last year in a 1g pot, but I lost her this Spring...really pretty blooms though...just make sure not to over water, she really hates it :)

I agree with the mid-century floribundas! I am completely taken by Gene Boerner's roses! I think I've tried to order every one they still have in stock. They just do really well for me here!

Tammy

• fogrose
    10 years ago

windeaux, so far the Gallicas are doing very well for me even though they're not supposed to. I have Officinalis, Tuscany Superb, Alain Blanchard, Velours Noir, Belle Isis, Narcisse de Salvandy and more new ones so hopefully they will do as well. Unfortunately Red Runaround is proliferating terribly so don't know if it will get to stay.

Diane

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

Sorry to reply a little late to Nastarana's request for floribundas from Vintage that would be hardy in zone 5. Most of the floris I see left on their list are pretty tough puppies, with the possible exceptions of Angel Face and French Lace, both of which have failed to overwinter 3 times each for me in different locations (though I know others in zone 5 who've done fine with these). There are some very nice singles and semi-doubles, and these in my experience tend to be less fussy about hardiness than the high-centered or densely petaled roses.

Here are some I'd recommend from my zone 5 experience:
    Eutin - tough as nails, low growing, pretty constant blooming "red" i.e. hot pink to my eyes
    Centenaire de Lourdes - hardy and trouble free pink double flowers
    Pinocchio - also tough as nails and very hardy in zone 5 or colder, nice subtle pink blend, not too tall
    Sunsprite - hardy and non-fading yellow Kordes, mine has taken a beating without stop in my mailbox strip by the street
    Summer Dream - nice double apricot blooms, and hardier than most in that color range, grows about 3-4 feet for me
    Lilac Dawn - most of my blooms have been a paler lavender than the Vintage picture but it's again hardier than most purples for me
    Nimbus - I have to agree this one is an intriguing color and a "don't miss it" rose. I'm still tempted to buy another one from Vintage, even though I mostly don't duplicate roses (I did break down and by a second Messire Delbard for the heart-stoppingly beautiful quartered dark red blooms) - surprisingly hardy for me
    Fancy Talk, Small Talk: I also have Pillow Talk, Baby Talk, and Plain Talk - they all have personality in their blooms and aren't just a run of the mill flower any of them. They're on the small side - about knee height for me - but that makes them good for front of the bed in front of bare knees roses or in my mailbox bed that I want to keep around 3'. All quite cane hardy for me so far in zone 5
    Brown Velvet - not a frequent bloomer for me but has survived 3 years in my zone 4 pocket in front of my house, so it's a safe bet in zone 5. Worth it for the russet colors
    Cherish - relatively new in my yard, but it's survived several the winters and is approaching its "leap" year, nice blend of sunset colors
    Morey's Pink - new for me from Vintage this year, but I have to comment that this and about 8 of the other roses I bought from Vintage were absolutely bursting out of its band pots with thick healthy roots.

I have to echo everyone else that now is the time to buy whatever you can from Vintage's list, before they get to an "end of season" clearance. Many of the 100 roses I bought from them this year (did I just admit that in writing?) were frequent mentions on their "unloved roses" lists, and were clearly mature healthy roses that had been growing quite a while waiting for a home - Inner Wheel, Molly McGredy come to mind here. I think I had to cut Molly out of her band pot to free her elaborate root system from the pot. My Vintage roses were without exception HUGE plants for bands and you won't be disappointed, even if you're unsure about buying bands.

Cynthia

• eahamel
    10 years ago

Well, y'all have convinced me to get some roses from Vintage. There isn't a lot of variety in OGR's here unless you go to ARE, and I have some of theirs, great roses, but I've been wanting something different. I'm going to get 4, but have a list of about 20 must-haves. Gotta pare that down a little.

The first 4 on my must-have list are: Contempo, Irish Mist, Lapponia, Miss Caroline (or maybe Mme Joseph Schwartz), and Heirloom (okay, so that's 5); and as alternates: Sunsprite, Smith's Red Parish, Shepherd's Delight and Morey's Pink, Erna Grootendorst, Faberge, Hawaiian Delight, French Lace, Titian, Sun Flare and Angel Bells.

I've had Mme Joseph Schwartz before, and it died in our drought 2 years ago, and I want another one. I know Smith's Parish, but am unfamiliar with the others. Can y'all tell me how they would do in my Texas zone 9a heat and humidity?

I'd like to get more, but I already have about 30 and a lot of other plants, too, and there just isn't room for as many as I'd like to get!

• nastarana
    10 years ago

Nippstress, thank you for the list.

I did order Lilac Charm and Nimbus. For Lilac Charm I got something else, I think Lilac Princess, and Nimbus is presently in critical condition and unlikely to survive. Someing about the ambient light where I live is not friendly to mauve and lilac roses, although the dark reds look sumptous indeed.

I am delighted to learn that Pinocchio might be possible for me.

My last or maybe pennultimate Vintage order will be arriving next week. I have a modest collection of Ayreshire ramblers to which I would like to add Ruga. I did already order it, but never received, or else didn't notice, confirmation. I am waiting to see if Ruga is included, and to then order again if it is not.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

I just sent in a last order - doesnt look like that much to choose from - not many noisettes, tea/noisettes which is what I am interested in. Dont know if any of my choices are even available.anyone else doing a last order?

• jaxondel
    10 years ago

No final order, but I am waiting to learn if a 2+-yr-old custom root order will beat the deadline . . .

• catsrose
    10 years ago

I guess no sale, so I ordered a last 12, some for friends. I put the order in Friday and it hasn't been confirmed yet. I won't weep if it gets lost. It was more just to be supportive.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I have one I really want. If there is anyone in my area looking to split an order, let me know.

• harborrose_pnw
    10 years ago

What is it you're wanting to order, Kippy? is that too nosy?

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Harbor

I want Edmond Proust. I could probably find another rambler if someone local wanted a pair of roses too. But not sure I have room for 4 ramblers and most of the other roses I wanted were sold out too fast for me (which is a good thing for Vintage)

• harborrose_pnw
    10 years ago

If you don't get someone to go in with you, let me know and I'll root one for you. I just got one from them and it looks like it is vigorous. It balls some here, but it is a pretty bloom.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Thank you very much Harbor

I really love that one, I could easy pick out 3 other ramblers, but I don't think I have the space they need with the ones I already have growing. Even my "short list" of antiques I want for the lower garden I really have to cull some because there are more than I want than I space for with out removing the hedge. It is not that I love the hedge, but truthfully, maybe it is foolish to remove an edible hedge that is probably antique itself that needs no water for roses.

• nancylee2
    10 years ago

Kippy: I'm near you (Gaviota) if you'd like to split a Vintage last order. -Nancylee

• nastarana
    10 years ago

My last, last order arrived last week.

Ruga
    Burg Baden
    Morning Stars
    A. von Tharou, the alba/Ayreshire hybrid.

I doubt I can buy more. It is getting into the season when roses probably should not be shipped across country and taking delivery in Sept did not work out well for me last fall because they don't make enough growth before frost.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Nancylee,

That would be wonderful!!!

Are you coming to the SB Rose society this Thursday to see Jeri and Clay talk about propagating? We could talk there or I can shoot you an email tomorrow.

I am off shortly to LA to pick up and drop off kids at LAX and sneak in a side trip to the Getty Villa.

• nancylee2
    10 years ago

Kippy: I sent you an email. -Nancylee

• altorama Ray
    10 years ago

Nippy the Hippy and Harbor-
    You're right, that rambler is EXTREMELY vigorous.
    Harbor, does yours suffer any die-back?
    Mine has been hardy to the tips the past few years.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH