SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keywestcomputerguy

sediment filter for tropical island well fed irrigation system

keywestcomputerguy
18 years ago

I have a rather unusual well system - I'm in Key West which is a small island in the middle of the ocean. My well is about 15 feet deep, and provides a good supply of fresh water. Since this island is basically a big piece of limestone (i.e., coral), i get a whole lot of sand, and what i assume is limestone/coral sediment through the system. I'm finished with the do-it-yourself irrigation systems (i.e., vinyl tubing, and small punch-in nozzles), which clogged up almost instantly with sediment, and had not a lot of success with the in-line home filters from Home Depot, with the widest sediment filters in them (change at least once a week just to keep water flowing), and I'm now installing a more permanent in-ground system of PVC with Orbit sprinkler heads. These seem to work great, and pass the small sediment without clogging.

The problem that I'm having now is that the (self-cleaning) orbit valves see to be leaking a bit in the closed position, and I think that the sediment is somehow clogging, or damaging the flange in the valve so that a small amount of water leaks through in the closed position. This results a constant pressure loss, causing my pump to cycle on every few minutes to maintain pressure.

Here's my question - does anybody out there have any experience with this type of well system (tropical island/freshwater/limestome/sediment), and/or can somebody recommend a very rudimentary filter system which will basically "stall" the sediment before it hits the system? I can't help but think that there is an easier way to capture and collect this stuff in some sort of baffling system which can just be drained occasionally, instead of having to use costly filters which clog so quickly?

I also raised the foot valve to about two feet above the bottom of the well, this seemed to help a great deal.

Any ideas? I'm able and willing to build something myself if anybody has a good idea to try...

Thanks in advance!

Comment (1)