SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ghe45

Sprinkler zones turning on for short bursts

ghe45
13 years ago

Starting about 1 month ago, certain zones of our irrigation system have been coming on (at times not programmed inour timer) for about 1 second. You can clearly hear the water turn on/off. If you go to the sprinkler heads, you can see a small amount of water.

Clearly this is not supposed to happen...

We recently got a new timer installed. The timer is clearly not programmed to water for 1 second at random times during the day...

On the other hand, our landscapers recenlty installed a new timer, when they came to check out a zone that wouldn't turn on. They indicated that the solenoid for that zone was "turned off" - not exactly sure what they meant by that...

At the same time, they requested that we get the new timer, since (they claimed) the old timer was hard to program.

So back to the original problem - if a zone is coming on for 1 second random intervals, I can only think of 2 reasons:

- faulty timer

- faulty solenoid

Is there a 3rd possibility?

Has anyone else ever had such a problem? The landscaper is trying to fix it - that being said, I think the landscaper thinks it's a low priority, so I'd like to learn about the possibilties on my own.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (8)