SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jscozz_gw

Sprinkler questions

jscozz
15 years ago

I am having a new sprinkler system installed before sod on a new front lawn. The vendor I have talked to is highly recommended. They use Rainbird (5000 rotors, 1800 sprays, etc.). They said they design to keep my pump on once it starts... I can understand that in most situations (I understand how the water flowing through it cools the well pump and short, frequent start/stop is bad for it)... but my situation is unique... I have geothermal heating/cooling... and if both units are running they take about 16gpm. I have a 1.5 hp pump that delivers about 35 gpm, and 3 of the largest WellXTrol tanks to hold a lot of water so my geos do not cause the pump to cycle too frequently. I also have large tanks to store water for my fire sprinkler system. That having been said, I want to LIMIT the max needed on any zone to about 10-12gpm... so that I never starve my geothermal units and so I have some left over for domestic use.

My questions are:

1) Am I correct to ask the installer to add more zones and limit each to 10-12 gpm in this situation?

2) Some have told me Hunter is top of the line... is there enough difference for me to ask the installer to use Hunter instead of Rainbird which they use all the time?

3) The say they will run 1-1/4 mains and 1" after each valve to all heads... this sounds good to me... correct?

Thanks for your help.

Comments (2)