SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
waggie450

Are my knockout roses ruined?

waggie450
13 years ago

Help! Something has eaten the leaves on all 7 of my knockout rose bushes. Some of the leaves just have holes in them. However, at the base and in the middle of the bush, it looks like the leaves were literally put through a shredder. It all happened before I knew it. There is also something white on some of the leaves. I'm in Kentucky and it's not all that warm yet, and I had no clue I'd have a problem so early in the year.

I have since sprayed the bushes really well with a product for bugs. I've also removed as many leaf stems as I can at the base of the branch. My question is will the leaves grow back any time soon? The bushes look so bad I am half tempted to dig them all out and purchase new, but if the leaves will start coming back within the month, I'll simply wait it out.

I had a problem with bugs getting one of the bushes last year but only one of them and not this early in the season. I'm wondering if the mulch we brought in had something in it.

Can someone please tell me if and when the leaves will grow back in and if I should get out there and remove the rest of them. I removed quite a few but it's very time consuming. Also, will doing so compromise the bush?

Oh, by the way, the bushes ARE blooming nicely. Just look awful...

Many thanks!

Comments (25)