SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
burntfingers

faucet pressure & rainbird pressure regulator

burntfingers
10 years ago

Hello all,

First time posting in this forum -- I'm usually in the Home section. I've read a bunch of posts here but haven't seen one like the problem I'm having.

I want to set up two small drip systems using faucet / hose bibs. We are on a well, and these hose bibs are not connected to the house (that is, they come from the same well, but the lines don't come from/go thru the house first. They are each several hundred feet from the house.)

After reading posts here and at irrigationtutorials.com, I got a pressure gauge to measure the pressure at the bibs. One is about 60 PSI and the other is about 50. (Sorry for the inexact numbers -- the gauge uses large increments.)

I bought a rainbird faucet connection kit which includes a pressure regulator, which I'd hoped would bring the pressure down to the level acceptable for the drip system. Connected it and attached the gauge again to check the pressure after the regulator.

Eek! The pressure had come down from 60 to 40, BUT water was squirting out strongly at the connection "seams".

Do I need a more powerful regulator? I've been reading posts here that suggest that 50 PSI is somewhat "normal", which suggests that the one I have should be working, but...

HELP!

And thanks.

Comments (4)