SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thomas_e

Need help with Pressure Regulator (see picture)

thomas_e
11 years ago

Just moved into new house and, per inspector, water pressure is 110 PSI. Too high.

This is the main water line entering the house:

{{gwi:2024788}}

Seems like an opportunity to upgrade this whole set up. Here are the issues/problems I see:

(1) The pressure regulator shown in the picture is probably shot. I just bought a water pressure meter and will try to adjust it but it's probably broken plus I believe this is not the right location for this pressure regulator.

(2) I see that there is a PVC Tee before the regulator (coming from the meter). The Tee feeds water to the landscape irrigation system. My feeling is that the irrigation system should also be protected from the 110 PSI, so I was thinking of removing this pressure regulator and replacing it with one installed right after the water meter. The meter of course is by the street, 200 ft. away from the house and about 25 ft. higher than the house.

(3) The garden faucet shown in the picture is also leaking a couple of drops per minute and so it should be replaced too.

(4) I'd like to replace that gate valve with a ball valve

(5) I'd like to replace that PCV valve, does not seem like a reliable device. But that would probably entail having two copper-to-PVC connections rather than one, something I don't like. Can that be avoided?

(6) Would I have to use union joints? How close to the PVC can I solder the new 3/4" copper pipes ?

(7) I would like to sweat the existing copper T to preserve as much as possible of the copper stub going into the house.

(8) Seems tricky to get all the water out of the pipes to solder them.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments (9)