SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pjb999

Does a pressure regulator/reducer eliminate water hammer?

pjb999
17 years ago

Just planning mods to my plumbing system to eliminate problems I'm having, it makes sense for me to do a number of things at once while I'm doing the main job (putting in an expansion tank) and was wondering if I need to add provision for air columns/shock absorbers since I'll be adding a whole-house plastic-bodied water filter, I've read that anti-hammer devices would be a good idea.

I don't have any anti-hammer devices connected at the dishwasher or washing machine, but I may add those in the future....although I don't seem to have those issues, having a pressure regulator/reducer means excess pressure/shock won't be absorbed by the town supply.

Should I add them? I thought I'd put simple water/air columns in both sides of the filter, just a T fitting with a vertical column and a cap (not a pinch) on the top, assuming there's no regulation (Kamloops BC) against it - the person who suggested the method to me was an old, British-trained plumber.....who, incidentally said you couldn't make the air column too long, ideally, he said, extend it upwards into a wall as much as a metre (three feet) or more. (not sure if I have the layout to go that far, I know a lot of people only use six inches or so, I can do at least that.

Comment (1)