SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yungman_gw

Oil to gas mix ratio, beating the dead horse again!!

16 years ago

I know this is a question that has been beat over time after time. I hear about putting more oil than 50:1 in the new 2 stroke will foul plug and build carbon in engine and muffler ....... all these has been going back and forth many times.

My Question is that in the older days, 2 stroke engine use as high as 20:1 gas oil ratio. No body had problem with this. What is different in the new engine that it can not take more oil than 50:1 now???!!!! What happen to the technology in the olden days??

Cleaner emission meaning new engine should burn leaner and cleaner, does this mean it will burn cleaner even with 20:1 ratio than the old engine.....less likely to foul plugs and carbon build up than the older engine that it replace???.... Something really don't make sense!!! Thing don't add up. These are REALLY simple engines with no electronics, smog, computer and complicate feedback like cars that some mysterious things can happen.

Anyone have a more analytical reason than "follow the manufacturer". Anyone have real scientific reason, not speculation or opinion? Unless there is a true reason other than what are posted on this forum( I read a lot of the forum), My conclusion is that manufacturers go to 50:1 just because of the regulation and the engine will benefit by having more oil than 50:1, even 32:1 as quite a few people settle on. I really appreciate feedback.

Comments (37)