SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brendasue_gw

Help! Horse & chicken feed

brendasue
18 years ago

I think my arabian yearling & 2 year old got into some chicken grain that was "disposed of" in my pasture in a ditch on Sunday. Isn't that poisonous for horses? It was a LOT of grain-55#drum mixed with shavings, floor sweepings, & who knows what else. Found out about it tonight when questioning the horses behavior.

They are acting peculiar this evening. Both were lying down in the pasture, 20 feet apart in the dark at about 5:30 tonight. Neither got up when I coaxed them to. After 5 minutes, the 2 year old got up, then went over & nudged the yearling, who got up. The 2 year old did a partial roll on her back, and did groan twice. This is NOT normal behavior for my girls. They are normally inside their walk-in stall by dusk.

Another odd behavior is they didn't touch their hay (flakes intact), given to them about 4:30 or so. Normal behavior they dive right in, eating until it's almost gone. Thinking it may be the bale of hay, I opened another & gave it to them. The hay is NOT a new load. Had to coax them to eat, but they only nibbled/picked a piece or three. I'm told they ate their normal ration of Charger sweet feed -no problems noticed.

Hard to tell if they touched this chicken grain or not-it's pitch black out there & it was dumped into a ditch-accessible if they really wanted to get it. I can see no other reason for their odd behavior though.

They are NOT staggering, no noticeable gestures towards their stomach. Just this strange behavior so far. The chicken grain is the only thing we can think of. They are on pasture 24/7, wormed on Sunday w/safeguard. They don't appear bloated.

Am wondering:

1. If symptoms were to develop, would they have developed by now? (it's now 7:36)

2. If symptoms develop, what actions should I take? Walking them maybe?

3. At what point should I call the vet? (he's an hour away)

I'll be checking on them periodically throughout the night & am hoping for some suggestions as to what I should be looking for and/or doing.

Please cross your fingers for my girls & hope I'm overreacting and I am completely wrong.

BrendaSue

Comments (15)