SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gholly_gw

Newbie question! Dirt from trashed lawn OK?

gholly
15 years ago

Hi All! I'm a big admirer of all of you experts! I dream to become like you! I think this might be a summer project for me...I'm nervous, but I want to try. I decided that I'm going to go to Costco today to by that $99 compost tumbler & take a stab at it. I hope this is a good investment & will make it easy for me, as a newbie (any thoughts?).

So as I've been researching & reading through post after post after post...I think I'm just confused because there is SO much info out there, and so many opinions! A few basic questions that I hope you guys can help me with.

1. We pulled out our horrendous front lawn a few weeks ago, and laid down new sod (looks fabulous!). I'm not sure, but is it OK to put the ripped out lawn remains into my compost bin? Pls note that there is obviously a lot of dirt mixed into the grass remains. I read somewhere...people said don't put dirt in your compost bin. But I would hate to just throw all this good "live nature" away for the garbage men to take.

2. Do you have to start with a 100% complete batch? or can I start small with what I have...and then keep adding to my bin? Again, I read somewhere that you should start with a complete batch.

3. If I don't have a paper shredder - is it OK to just tear/rip up newspapers & cardboard myself & toss into the pile? obviously, my point is that it probably won't be as "finely shredded" if I do it myself.

4. I'm not sure cuz I haven't bought it yet...but I did see it yesterday. The Costco black plastic tumbler...I don't recall seeing air holes or anything. Is that OK? Again, from my research, I understood that your compost must have a good oxygen supply - hence most 'natural' compost piles are just out in the open or in mesh wiring or something. Maybe this is a stupid question...and once I buy the thing and start assembling, it'll be more clear.

Anyhow...I hope you guys can help. I'm nervous & scared...I don't know why. Probably because I'm afraid of failing! But super-excited at the possibility that I might actually be able to do this and get some HEAT! :o) I don't even really know what that will be like, but clearly something to aspire towards (reading through this forum!)

Thanks all!

Comments (7)