SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aceman007

1st year and 1st attempt soil woes?

aceman007
15 years ago

I am new to gardening, and I have a question about my "cement" soil. I am making raised bed boxes, and am digging them out to about 8 inches deep from ground level, and adding "Cow and Compost" to suppliment the clay soil, and fill the above 6 inches. The newest box I am digging seems that the soil is harder then any other area I have been in, and I have removed some rocks that show signs of being in a fire. I do not know if there was a fire ring there, or a bb-q pit or what. May not have even been in that area. I do know that the soil is extra hard. There is some groth in that area, and I am digging up living roots, but I am not finding any worms. I found 1 worm in a 3'x9' space. I know this is not a good sign. My questions are quite varied and vast, but I hope the info I give is not vague. Will this soil be good with proper care and the introduction of vital nutrients? Will I eventually get worms? Do I or should I import them from a local fishing supply store? If there was a fire pit/bbq there, did it damage the soil? Should I fill in my new pit and choose a new place for my raised box? Will this box be good for this year, or should I wait till next year? I am poor, and really can not afford a soil test, but my nose tells me the soil smells good, and there are/were things growing there. I just need a little help and guidance and I guess reassurance that I am on the right track for future success at growing my kitchen table garden. Thank you for your help. 'Q'

Comments (7)