SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
my3dogsii

Craigslist chair re-born - 1st upholstery attempt !

My3dogs ME zone 5A
11 years ago

I have wanted to try upholstery for many years, but there are no adult ed classes anywhere near here. So by watching some You Tube videos and reading blogs, I went for it on this chair that I bought from CL in May. I love the bergere style and often look for them, but they are rare in Maine's CL. A bonus that I found when I went to see this one is that it was made by Drexel Heritage, and in perfect condition except for the tired plaid upholstery. I got the chair for $90. Photo from CL ad.

I took several pictures of it before removing the fabric to note details. The first thing I did over was the back cushion, and you can see that I had approval from Riley on that first step. After that, I put the chair up on a sturdy card table, as he was either in it, or pressing his face against my hand as I stapled.

I used the existing perfect deck fabric, as I wanted to preserve the Heritage label. I also re-used the zippers from the cushions.

I finished it yesterday after working on it off and off for a week. I had Friday off from work so was able to give it plenty of time then and Saturday. The worst part was pulling what seemed like thousands of staples. I re-did parts of it to keep myself going, so I could see progress as I pulled more staples. The finished chair -

I got a HUGE bargain on the fabric from the Country Curtains website. It is USA made upholstery fabric from their mills, and it was on clearance from $30.50 a yard to $3.99 a yard, so I paid $19.95 for 5 yards. I used the back side of it as it went better with my colors. I did the welting with the red side out, but it's so narrow that it doesn't show that well.

Front of fabric. The small sample on top is what I had my office loveseat re-upholstered in by a 'real' upholsterer!

Back of fabric - I was thrilled when I saw how well they coordinated as both fabrics were bought online months apart and I just hoped they go well. I think the new fabric really goes well with the frame of the chair, which I saw was hand carved once I had all the fabric off, and chisel marks were revealed on parts of the frame that are covered with fabric.

The loveseat was delivered by the 'real' upholsterer on Friday and I was so happy to see the two fabrics together. Yep, that is Riley giving the loveseat a test drive.

Comments (52)