SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Chelone, Joann and other upholstery experts

lkplatow
16 years ago

I trash-picked two upholstered chairs yesterday - I stopped to look at them yesterday afternoon and left without taking them, because I just knew they needed WAY too much work. But they had such nice lines and I couldn't stop thinking about them and I had the perfect spot for them and I always wanted to learn how to upholster and and and.... you know how it is....at 11pm last night, I snuck out and loaded them up and now they're taking up half my garage, much to my husband's dismay.

They are in some sorry sorry shape, though. They look to be from maybe the 20s - the original fabric is a sort of textured terrycloth-like thing with designs cut into it. They have ball & claw feet in the front and straight legs in the back, and wide flared sides. Someone cut part of the back legs off of one chair to get it to sit flush against the wall, so I'll have to fix that. I have some woodworking experience, so that's not super-intimidating to me.

The upholstery is, though. I've never really upholstered anything, and these things need WORK. The original fabric is torn and stained. There's batting and some brown straw-like stuff coming out of the rips (horsehair, maybe?). The seat cushions on both seats are missing, so I'll have to make new cushions - no clue how to do that. The part under where the cushion would go is stained - I suspect that perhaps some less-than-housebroken pets are responsible for the missing cushions. They don't appear to smell like pee but do have a definite musty-old-furniture smell. The springs seem supportive from the top (had to give them a sit test, missing cushions and suspcious stains be darned!) but are sort of popping out the bottom a bit.

So are these things even worth trying or should I just haul them back out to my curb before trash pickup on Friday. If they are worth trying, where in the world do I start?! I don't mind giving it a shot and using a cheap fabric (or even a muslin, which I could then slipcover), just to teach myself how to do upholstery. But I don't want to put a lot of work into something only to have a smelly unusable chair when I'm done.

I appreciate any guidance from the expert upholsterers here! I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

Comments (37)