SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gawdinfever

I'm 'almost' embarrassed to ask...

GawdinFever
13 years ago

Um, I guess I got overly excited when I started and didn't read thoroughly about composting layers. I neglected to add garden soil to a couple of my layers. I did, however add sod that was cut out to make new beds. There was actually quite a bit of soil in it.

Usually, I do my best to break all the soil up from the sod because I know this topsoil has so many nutrients and also just so I won't have to replace it.

This last time, I didn't try much at all. I have health issues and was honestly, still sore and exhausted from the sod removal that had been done before that bed!

Whenever I turn the compost pile I also shovel some of the finished stuff from the bottom in the layers. I've added manure only twice. Is this enough? It seems to be breaking down anyhow, though. I've only saw my pile steaming once when I first started this. It only stays hot for a few days, doesn't it?

Okay, while I'm at it I might as well ask: I only have two bins. they are 5ft X 5ft. (They were here when I moved here.) And they are pretty full now. (The heaps are piled to one side.) Can I start heaps on the ground where I plan to eventually have flower beds, anyhow? And do these 'heaps' have to be a certain size?

Comments (14)