SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sail_away

I'm embarrassed to ask ...

sail_away
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We are in the process of purchasing our fourth home. Our 1st home was purchased from (the previous owner; our 2nd home was purchased from the builder who had just built a spec home. Our 3rd house is where we live currently and it was custom built. Our upcoming 4th home will also be custom built---we close on the property the end of this month and then start building in February.

This time we will remain in our current home (home #3) and build our new one. Once we have the COO, we will move into the new home and put our current home up for sale. So I've been going through old files and realized that we have saved a lot of the papers from our previous homes. I also realized how ignorant I still am about some of the aspects of buying and selling homes.

As I go through the papers, I wonder what things we should save and what it is safe to shred? Obviously, I will save the deed to our current home (home #3) and the paperwork showing that the mortgage is paid off and we own the home free and clear. However, do I need to save the warranty deed (and deed of reconveyance for the previous property (home #2), which we sold about 20 years ago?

If in doubt, I will err on the side of caution and keep papers, but in general I would really like to reduce the files we carry into the new home, as we are downsizing substantially and I'm trying to start reducing everything I can now. Thanks to anyone who can help me with these questions!

Comments (22)