SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkill

upgrading (?) irrigation system quotes

funkill
19 years ago

Hi folks - hope someone here might be able to "advise" me ... or at least, offer your opinion.

I've been tinkering with my system for a few years - and it all just died last summer. I've got a few bucks stashed away and KNOW I need to get the system up-n-running again, before the summer heat kicks into high gear. The problems that I had in the past were mainly associated with my pump side of the system. That being (a) the pump is one of those pressure driven types and was constantly loosing pressure, priming, etc based on the ever changing water table/levels and (b) the timer is a silly little basic model. By the end of the summer, I was having to turn off the circuit breaker to control the pump - it would run constantly unless I switched the breaker off. Finally, when I switched the breaker back on - NO PUMP - it wouldn't make a sound or pump any water. Now, a season later, I turned the breaker back on and I can hear a hummmmmm from the pump (and a little click about every three minutes). Still, no water, no real pump activity.

After calling several companies to request an estimate for repain, I found ONE that was interested in the job. A tech came out and said that my pump type is not really suitable for irrigation (and should mostly be used for something like a holding tank) and that it seems to be burned up. He suggested a new pump, timer and pump start relay be installed. He went on to say that he couldn't be sure the well isn't "dry" since the pump won't even work. He priced the job at $800.

So, here's my questions (sorry for so many):

Does it sound reasonable that the pump is burned up?

Was it the wrong "type" of pump?

Could the well be dry - and that is what was causing the pump to run constantly (as if trying to prime itself) and require regulation via circuit breaker swithching?

Does the price for a new pump, timer & relay sound reasonable?

Thanks for your help ---- I can't seem to even find another company locally to get a second opinion!!!! And the idea of having a whole new system installed sounds backward.

Comments (3)