SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okolowicz

Adding Drip Irrigation Zone to Existing Sprinkler System

okolowicz
9 years ago

Currently I have a 6 zone irrigation system (3 in front yard, 2 in back yard, and 1 on the side of the house). All zones use anti-siphon valves which are installed about 8" above the ground. Everything works great as is but I have just built an 18"wide x 16'long x 24" high raised planter box and would like to add a new (drip) zone for it to my existing system.

I am trying to determine what I need but am a bit confused. In fact, I just got off the phone with RainBird Tech Support and am even more confused than before my call. So, here are my questions:

1) To add a new zone for drip do I need to use an inline valve or an anti-siphon valve?

My understanding is that the anti-siphon valve needs to be installed >6" above the highest sprinkler. If that is the case then for a 24" high planter my valve would need to be nearly 3 feet above the ground. This would probably be an eyesore.

2) Can I used a standard electric valve or do I need to use a Drip Control Zone Valve such as the RainBird CPZ075PRFI (inline) or CPZ075PRFA (anti-siphon)? I figured I would need a Drip Control Zone valve but RainBird tech support indicated a regular valve would be fine.

Comment (1)