SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mister_h

Well Pump Help!

mister_h
16 years ago

Our family have a small weekend get-away house which gets own water from a underground well (30'? deep). The house is in the mountain at 5600' elevation and the water is very hard/lots of mineral. When we were up there last weekend, we noticed that no water was coming out from any of the faucets inside or outside of the house. When I checked the well pump/motor assembly (the one above the ground - and I think there is another one underground, right?), it was making a buzzing sound only, not turning, and the motor housing was very warm to touch. So, I immediately shut off the power to it. I waited several hours until the motor housing was cool to touch and turned on the power again, but the same thing happened - buzzing sound and not turning over. So, I partially removed the motor/pump housing in the middle of the assembly (it is a Goulds Pump, 1 hp, 230V, 3450 rpm, 6.5 amp, single phase) until I could see the motor shaft. With the power/electricity completely shut OFF, I tried to turn over the motor shaft by hand, but I could not. Apparently it locked up solid. I am a totally newbie to well pump/motor and here are some questions:

> Is the "locking up" common on such well pump motor?

> What can cause the motor to lock up?

> For a locked up motor, it better to rebuild it or replace with a new one?

> If you recommend replacing it, is it something a Saturday mechanic can do it (I've replaced pistons/cylinders on motorcycles a few times successfully)?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Comments (2)