SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
water_daddy

Pulsating Water and Water Quality from Plumbing

water_daddy
19 years ago

We begin with piping scenario, then Part II gets inolved with a potential health risk that I have not been able to figure out.

PartI

Have a drilled well about 200' upgradient (20' elevation change) which supplies a lounge house with two 86 gal nominal capcity vertical bladders laid on their side. Prior to the storage there is check valve. Somewhere in the lounge a cold water line must leave(could not find line) and further fall 10+ feet in elevation to the river where there is a 180 connection boat slip with 1" service lines (appears undersized) The water is reported to pulsate at each boat slip connection, but it not believed to connect directly to the submersible well pump nor would this make sense. An RPZ (and a redundant check valve on the lounge side) are located in a crock just outside lounge and prior to 1" PVC lines supplying the slips)

My guess is the pier service lines are way undersized (1" line = maybe 20gpm vs 180 service connections with 2 gpm faucets) and the RPZ opens and sucks air. An RPZ in a pit like this doesn't sound good...Cross Connection anyone?

Part II

Background:

- No Pb/Cu detected in well

- Inorganics test: pH 7.3, high alkalinity, not aggresive

- Copper pipes in lounge plumbing only

- Sinks and pipe solder came in 1986 after new standards

In a nutshell: Lead&Copper (Pb/Cu) Concerns. In December 2004 Pb/Cu and Metals were first tested. The known possible Pb source are two brass fixtures (check valve and adapter at the bladder tanks) Assuming proper Pb/Cu collection technique would the two brass fittings with mild water be enough to have 50% of the locations detect lead with hand sink by the water heater exceeding the action level? How about electrolysis at this particular sink? What is interesting is Copper shows up nearly through out the copper piped lounged, but lead only shows up in the basement and and the 2 closest of 5 piers. The sink by the water heater has the highest lead and copper concentrations; however, the next sink in line is 10' vertically up to this location. It has no Pb detection but is a close 2nd for Cu level. Cu seems to geographically corresponds (regardless of elevation) and dilute as you leave the water heater. Pb is only observed in downstream sites despite upstairs taps being taps which are closer to the bladder tanks and water heater...My guess is the Pb is in an insoluable form and therefore does not typically show up as water climbs in elevation. I still have a way to go, but your opinions are appreciated...I certainly don't like the woman's facility having 48.2 ppb Pb, espcially with the potential for a pregnant consumer.

Comment (1)