SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dwillits_gw

Sound of water leaking + hot water coming from cold water side

dwillits
14 years ago

Hello.

Two days ago, we noticed two plumbing problems.

One, hot water was coming from our bathroom sink when the cold water handle was turned. The water is, at first, quite hot, but then quickly (as in, within 5-10 seconds) cools off.

Two, and in my mind, more importantly, we heard the faint noise of water running from the bathroom.

Upon doing this, I checked under the sink and in the panel behind the bathtub. No water anywhere, as far as I can tell.

We live in a condominium community and have an upstairs neighbor. Her bathroom is directly above ours, so I thought that perhaps she was having some sort of tub leak and that the noise we heard was a constant drop due to a bad seat or gasket. I contacted the community manager. He went upstairs, found no leak. He noticed, however, that they had the exact same problem in their bathroom sink. He called a plumber.

The next day, we notice the water noise has increased in volume (to the degree, now that, we can hear water from our master bedroom).

Today, my wife called me at work. She said that the plumber called our community manager back and wants to "troubleshoot from offsite". If I am understanding things correctly, it seems as though both our community manager and the plumber see the hot water coming through the sink as the more pressing problem (which, to me, makes absolutely no sense).

At the moment, I am working under the theory the section of the hot waterline going to the sink (located in the walls and perhaps underground?) has sprung a leak and is leaking hot water onto the cold water line. Therefore, the cold water line is warmed up and gives you hot water at first. Then, as the water starts to flow, it moves too quickly to be heated up by the surrounding hot water.

Of course, I haven't found any water, so can't verify that this is happening. I have, however, noticed that the tiles directly in-front of our sink seem to be warm, suggesting that perhaps hot water is leaking underneath the sink.

Does my explanation sound reasonable?

And, if so, is wrong for me to completely flip out and demand that a plumber (either the community's preferred plumber or one that will actually come out) comes out investigates the situation?

Comments (2)