SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
j0nd03

Girdling Roots and Functional Root Grafts

j0nd03
13 years ago

I have learned so very much from this message board over the last 5 months. I thought I know how to plant a container tree (before visiting this site) and planted many, many trees this way on our property.

I planted 8 October Glory maples and 3 Red Sunset maples that all came out of 5 gallon containers with about 1 inch caliper trunks and did not have apparent circling roots on the outside of the rootball when I planted them. I noticed one the other day it did not have a trunk flare even though I planted it slightly above grade. So I dug down with my finger to find the flare... and scraped and dug and repeat. After removing 2 inches of container soil, I got the shovel and wheel barrel and went to town. It had about 4-5 inches of that sandy potting mix ABOVE the root flare!!! I then proceeded to root prune as well as I could and replant it. I have since dug up 4 more OG maples and found the same thing! Had to discard 1 as it was so bad I didn't think it had a snowball's chance at recovering (I REALLY WISH I took pics).

The roots not only were under half a foot of soil but the trunks were already becoming girdled! 3 of the trees already had roots wrapped around the trunk. This must have happened when they were infants and not potted up in a timely manner, correct? I am going to dig the rest of the maples up, but now I don't know if I should dig everything up and inspect for girdling roots. My concern is even if I had cut the rootball into 4 sections AND cut the bottom of the rootball, it would not have come close to getting the girdling roots on the trunk.

I was also wondering what species form root grafts and what species are susceptible to this apparent girdling problem. I have planted black tupelo, southern mag, maples, white and red oaks, redbuds, and dogwoods from containers. Thankfully I planted some other species bare root do not have to worry about them.

Any and all advice is appreciated! :)

Comments (16)