SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmt77

Excited to start growing roses, starting with a few David Austins

lmt77
10 years ago

Hello,
I'm new here and new to roses. I'm excited to start growing roses. This is my first season at rose growing besides the 3 knock outs that I have in our front bed.

I'm starting with a few David Austins, 2 Lady Emma Hamilton, 1 Abraham Darby, 1 Charlotte, and 1 lavender floribunda called Love Song.

I have a few questions that I thought y'all might be able to help with. First, are there any great books that I should read on the basics of rose growing? I've been reading up a storm here and various online articles, but is there a go-to rose growing book that I should buy?

I planted my 2 lady Emmas last week, I'm excited about my new rose bed and I hope they do well in the location that I chose.

The area that I was planning to put Abe Darby & Charlotte won't be ready for another week or so and I'm not certain that the spot I chose will be sunny enough. I was thinking that I have 3 options.....
1) Keep the plants in the pots from the nursery until the bed is ready then plant them there and see if they like it. **I've had them for a week now and I'm not sure how long they can stay in the plastic pots from the nursery?
2) Plant them in a bed that I think is well suited for them for now knowing that I will most likely need to move them in the fall or next spring (do to planned construction near that bed).
3) Repot them into containers and grow there all summer until I can plant in the fall.

Any thoughts on what the best option is?

Also, any advice on how far to plant the Love Song Floribunda from the house? Do you think 30 inches is adequate?
The height is listed ad 35" to 47" but I'm not sure about width.
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.65776.0

If anyone in my zone/area has experience with these particular roses, I would love to hear what you think.

Also, if there are local nurseries that you love, please share:)
I am in Burlington County and I've been buying a lot at Flagg's in Moorestown. They seem to have a great selection and knowledgeable/helpful staff.

I've been looking for a Coral Charm peony locally (to plant in the bed with my Lady Emmas) and haven't had any luck finding one. I've considering driving to Peony's Envy in Bernardsville, NJ but it is about 1.5 hours from me one way and I'm not sure if I have the time to make that trip.

Lisa

Comments (4)