SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisyhair

David Austin Roses in Orlando.

daisyhair
12 years ago

Hi!

So last year I bought two David Austin from Chamblee.

I decided I wanted to learn to grow roses and I just figured I would start with what I find amazing.

I bought an Abraham Darby and a Glamis Castle. Both have actually done fair! The Abraham Darby was the climbing variety and so it went in the ground.

I had read I could grow the Glamis Castle in a pot so I bought a large 12" pot and it's doing fair as well.

I wondered if anyone here around me (Zone 9 or 10?) grows David Austin? I really need some advise on how to actually KEEP them alive.

The Abraham Darby looks like it has a bit of black spot but looks pretty good other than that... It has three large blooms right now and 7 or so buds...

It has one REALLY tall cane (it was like 7' while the rest of the plant is around 3').. it has no buds on it at all.. just a very tall cane.. I cut it back by a couple of feet.

I have NO idea how to actually prune roses. I read about it but I need visual aids!

I guess though since they both have new growth and one has flowers already that I won't be pruning until later?.

I did read that the Abraham Darby likes a Summer pruning.

Sorry to ramble on but I need guidance!

Is there a good book I should get about growing roses in general or are David Austin roses so different that I should study only about them?

This entire post started because I walked outside this AM and saw the HUGE amazing Abraham Darby bloom and was just blown away and totally in love with these roses again! This rose is so dreamy!!!

{{gwi:228953}}

{{gwi:228955}}

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting