SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunnywafer

Planting new tree in old tree spot - optimizing success

bunnywafer
13 years ago

Hi all,

I have what I think is a purple leaf plum in the front yard (tree was here when I moved in). It suffered HORRIBLY of black knot (literally almost every branch was covered). At the advice of a friend, the tree was cut back to remove the knots, but basically it's not a tree any more, it's a trunk with a few limbs sticking maybe a foot or two up.

I don't know if this tree will ever grow back or if I killed it by cutting it back. :( It hasn't shown any signs of doing anything since last spring when it was cut. So even if it will grow back eventually, I'm not sure I have the patience to deal with this eyesore, considering it's the only big plant in my tiny yard. I actually am shocked my HOA isn't demanding removal of it, and I do half expect to get a letter this spring about it....

So my questions are:

1.) IF I do remove this old tree, can I plant a new tree in the same spot? My yard is so tiny (townhouse) that I don't have an option of putting a tree anywhere else, and my HOA requires all lots to have either a tree or a specimen plant in the yard.

2.) Do I need to worry about the black knot in the soil?

3.) Any advice on what to do in the hole to help the new tree along? I've read conflicting advice online....some say to leave the sawdust/chips from stump grinding, others say to remove them; the tree is so tiny I may not even have to grind the stump anyway, but may be able to remove the stump by digging. Some places say to dig out all the old soil and put in new.... do I need to add anything to the soil? And what kind of soil are we talking about here? Like potting soil?

4.) Does anyone know what kind of root system a purple plum has (spreading vs. tap root) and how that may affect the choice of a new tree? For new trees, I'm looking at something like a redbud, sourwood, amur maple, or paperbark maple, or if I go with a specimen plant maybe a contorted filbert or a lilac.....

Thanks so much for any advice!!!

Comments (8)