SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
actionclaw

New tree on site of old tree

A Silver Maple Tree was planted on my mother's front lawn around 1955/56. I put it off as long as possible (second to last one remaining on the street) but, old and decrepit, we recently had to remove it.

Of course, I feel a replacement is needed but it's a tiny suburban lot with, really, only two possible spots, one, the exact location the Maple was. My questions are, as you may've guessed, about planting a tree at the same place there (recently) was a tree.

Will the existing roots interfere with root development of the new tree?

Should I wait before planting?..how long?

Should I attempt to accelerate decomposition of the old material?

My larger question regards nutrients available to the new tree. It's the type of community where the people think the best place for leaves is in black plastic bags. There's not much nature happening there, no soil building etc.. I suspect soil depletion may even have played a part in the old tree's decline. I'm not certain but believe Silver Maples can reach 100 years or older so I don't think "old age" was the only issue.

"Tree Fertilizer Spikes" seem a little gimmicky plus it seems I'd need hundreds. Bringing in a backhoe and a truckload of fresh topsoil would be great but also isn't really feasible.

I vaguely recall seeing something on a gardening show years ago using an auger to make holes all over the lawn and then injecting fertilizers? This seems a possibility. (Details, anyone?)

Is soil depletion a valid concern or am I over-thinking this? Ideas, suggestion are welcomed.

Thanks

Comments (4)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals