SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paigect

New tree in old tree's wake - how to fill the crater?

paigect
16 years ago

I had a largish dying maple removed from my small front yard several weeks ago. The stump has been ground out, along with surrounding roots. I hauled the resulting mulch into the backyard garden, leaving a crater in my yard about 8 - 10 feet wide and 1 - 2 feet deep right in the center of my yard.

I purchased a Katsura 'Heronswood Globe' for the spot and she's ready for planting, but I'm struggling with how to deal with the lack of soil for filling the crater. I know that it is best to fill the planting hole with soil that is the same as the surrounding soil, but I don't have that option.

I do have a small pile of soil in my backyard that was dug out when making my patio last year, and I plan on using that, but it is not nearly enough for this large area so I will have to add some new soil to the hole. My soil is mostly clay - - I know, that makes the problem worse. Hard to find clay backfill for sale!

How should I handle this? Should I just buy the cheapest, backfill type topsoil at Evil Orange, so as to make it not so attractive to the tree roots that they want to stick around to the exclusion of the surrounding soil? And what about drainage in this clay bowl I've created?

I can't put the tree somewhere else - - my entire front yard is only about 20 feet wide, excluding the driveway and other hardscape.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!