SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boomtube

More Craftsman Garage Door Opener & Lightening

boomtube
18 years ago

I had a lightening strike hit a large tree in my yard yesterday. I've lost several electrical devices, including the use of my garage door opener.

Symptoms and notes:

1. The glow lights on the inside opener buttons do not light up. Pressing them does absolutely nothing.

2. I reset the transmitter with the opener. When I pushed the button, the opener light flashes but nothing happened.

3. I disconnected the door from the track. Now when I push the transmitter button, the motor turns very slightly and stops (with absolutely no weight on it). I can keep doing this and it incrementally moves about 1/2 inch. The inside buttons still do absolutely nothing.

4. I know how to adjust the force and that's not the problem. The motion sensors appear to be fine.

Theory and Questions:

The way the motor is giving such a half-hearted attempt to move, I'm wondering if the motor got zapped, but the wall buttons doing nothing at all has me thinking it could be the circuit panel. Would the circuit panel or maybe the capacitor being burned out possibly cause the motor to act "sluggish"? Thoughts?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths