SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
j0nd03

Nyssa sylvatica 'Wildfire' ID questions

j0nd03
12 years ago

I purchased this tree from a local nursery that is known for selling mis-tagged trees. I bought this about a month or two ago long before bud break. As it has progressed, there has not been even a hint of red on any new growth. I called the nursery I purchased it from and they said the red only shows up after it gets hot for a while. I guess mid 80's for a couple of weeks don't count. But I don't believe their claim anyways. It is supposed to flush with red leaves I believe. To those who have experienced this cultivar, what say you?

If it is not 'Wildfire', how should I approach the nursery? The thing is, I am HAPPY just to have a blackgum growing without dieback. If I recall, toronado had a 'Wildfire' or 'Red Rage' that did fine the first year then had dieback the next spring. So, of course this is a concern. This tree was $40 for a 3 gallon and I bought a species Nyssa in a 5 gallon from them last year for $30 I think. I am thinking about just asking for the difference in price if I can prove to them it is not 'Wildfire'. I also suggested they re-tag the remaining inventory of the 'Wildfire' which is only 4 or 5 left (I'm sure they LOL'd me when I hung up).

{{gwi:334148}}
By jp_42_82 at 2012-03-28

{{gwi:334150}}
By jp_42_82 at 2012-03-28

Comments (8)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012