SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hamburglar1

Experience with newer Nyssa Sylvatica cultivars?

hamburglar1
9 years ago

I have a spot in my backyard that is just calling out for a tupelo tree. I have poked around the mail-order nurseries and have been a little disappointed in cultivar selection this spring, though. Last time I bought one (maybe 2012) it seemed that the tree was becoming popular and there were multiple cultivar options out there and under development. Not sure what the deal is now.

Local nurseries tend to sell the species or Wildfire. The species is a little too variable for where I want to put it. Wildfire IMO is not completely hardy in my Zone 5 Cleveland. I bought a Red Rage a couple years ago and it has done pretty well these last two brutal winters, deer notwithstanding. There is a variety called Green Gable which some municipalities around here have added to their street-tree lists. It has the form I would most like, but I can't find it anywhere for retail. My hope was to find a cultivar that had been bred for form.

Anyone have any experience with any new Nyssa varieties? I guess my fallback will be to plant another Red Rage, although I don't think that one has gotten easier to find either.

Comments (15)