SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
convexles72

pile 2, day 12; & i got steam!!!

ConvexLes72
15 years ago

WOW!

(Hi. My name is Leslie, and I am addicted to composting)

Holy Smokes... I actually saw my first steam this evening from Pile #2. It's just a little steam so far... but still.

Noticed some 'heat' in there this morning. So, I bought a compost thermometer, like you guys advised me to. And yes YES! It's definitely warming up in there. The hottest part I could find is only 102 degrees.... but was out there tonight with a flashlight and THERE IS STEAM!!!!

What do I do now?

Also... between that 'warm layer' and the ground... the temp drops down to only 80 degrees.

What I've done to combat the arid climate at this altitude, is to cover the pile with a really old (full of holes tarp. This seems to really help keep the moisture from escaping, whereas the pile kept drying out before. I've been mindful of my C/N ratios. And then two days ago, I injected the whole pile with a molasses solution... something I was planning to inoculate my potato beds with. There are no bad odors at all.

My next questions:

1. What do I do now?

2. How do I get this heat to be more evenly distributed throughout the whole pile?

3. Is it okay to turn it tomorrow, or would I shut down the biological activity by doing that?

4. Or is there a certain target temp I should be holding out for before I start flipping it over.

(I'm also noticing some slight 'pile-shrinkage'... but overall... this pile has grown considerably since I started it 12 days ago. It's going to be a major back-breaker to turn. (not that I'm complaining.)

About the other two piles. I used up ALL the black gold from pile #1 already. I'm officially out of finished compost now. BUT, today, I scored on a new supply of FREE mulch today. (A practically endless supply too, from a neighbor who cuts firewood, has a chipper, and hasn't hauled any scrap out for YEARS! It's been just sitting there on his property, piling up forever. So, I literally have mountains of this stuff of various ages just blocks away. In fact, some of it is almost compost already! I've hauled 6 yards home already, bucket by bucket. Feel like I've died and got to heaven.)

If this is wacko-dom... I never want to be 'normal' again.

Thanks SO MUCH for all the help guys... this is quickly becoming my favorite GW forum. Composting addicts rock!

Leslie in CO

Here is a link that might be useful: Here are some pics

Comments (3)