SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

Garden hose question

northerner_on
16 years ago

This may be off-topic, but I figured this was the best choice. Last week I bought an inexpensive 100' vinyl hose. It is 1/2 inch, 3-ply, light-duty and suited my present needs. There was initially the smell of new vinyl from the exterior which I expected, but now I have hooked it up, the water, when filling a watering-can for example, produces suds. When the bubbles burst, they emit a petroleum smelling gas, and eventually there is a white pasty film left on the top of the water. The water itself smells of a petroleum distillate, even though the hose itself has lost its 'new vinyl' smell. I am of the opinion that there is some by-product of the manufacturing process remaining in the hose and I wonder if it harmful to use this hose to water my plants. I am in the process of setting up beds for next spring, and I need to water. Does anyone have any experience with these vinyl hoses? Will it eventually wear off? It is a JOBMATE product, but there is no contact information for them. Any ideas?

Northerner.

Comment (1)