SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

New species roses are doing well

10 years ago

The species roses I planted by the back fence last fall have grown a surprising amount already, I can't wait to see how much bigger they get though the year. It will be wonderful when they cover up the ugly fence and neighbors' trailer collection.

{{gwi:262022}}
Rosa Helenae is giving a very nice bloom for it's first year, the white truss of flowers is easy to spot across the yard and in the morning the whole corner is filled with a delightful spicy fragrance.

{{gwi:262023}}
Not a great picture, but it's the best I got showing the one long cane of R. Helenae stretching up into the tree I think is a volunteer pear.

{{gwi:262024}}
And this is Rosa gentiliana, it's looking like it's going to forgo blooming in favor of growing like crazy this year - which is just fine by me. I was excited to see that R. gentiliana held it's leaves through the cold spells in the fall and winter, and really happy to see that it leafed out and started growing at least a month before the Himalayan blackberries that like to infest that area. I'm hoping that after a few years of assistance the roses will be able to hold their own against the ever-encroaching blackberries.

Comments (7)