SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
knoxrosetn

Any roses that do particularly well in part shade? Any Austins?

KnoxRose z7
9 years ago

Hello All!

I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions for roses that might do well for me in the part-shade areas of my yard. I am in a constant state of planning for my new additions, and a large portion of the area I have left to work with only gets sun from about 7am- 1pm, & some areas (mostly my porch-where I would love to have potted roses) get even less at 7am-11:30am.

Then there are some areas of the yard that are completely shaded in the morning and then get bright sun from about 1:30pm until about 6-7pm. Since I am still a newbie I have no idea if these allotments would be considered adequate sunlight, & if morning sun and afternoon sun are created equal in the eyes of roses or if one is drastically preferred to another in this type of climate. I just don't know!

So, any advice you may have, or recommendations of things that have worked in your garden would be much appreciated. I have a certain affinity for Austin roses & also for any rose with a strong fragrance, but all types are welcome here, I love them all.

Thanks so much for your help!

Jessica

Comments (22)