SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gondorff

Repair or replace chain saw

Gondorff
11 years ago

Husqvarna 40 (1985-09) Chainsaw

Is it worth getting this chainsaw fixed? I got this chainsaw from my son in law. I have no idea of it's history or does my son in law. So I do not know if it was heavy used or lightly used.

I was able to use the chainsaw once to cut down a tree but then a problem developed.

When I got the chainsaw I cleaned it up and put in new gas/oil filled up the chain lube tank and started up. It started fairly easily. However after cutting a tree down and the chainsaw was idling, I hear a change in the pitch of the rpm's. When I went rev it up it would not rev it up it would spit and stutter, idle was the only thing it would do smoothly.

I am not good at fixing gas powered equipment my past attempts have been less the stellar. So I would be inclined to take it into a shop for repair.

The question is it worth it? I know at one time Husqvarna was consider a very good chainsaw. I looked up the Carburetor and it was $50. I doubt very much if I could it repaired for under a $100. For a mere $80 more I can get a new one from Home Depot.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do?

Comments (3)